Impressed with the iPad Pro and Apple pencil? Get the most use out of it with the Procreate app and some brush add-ons!
How impressive is the iPad Pro? I have the 12.9″ (which by the way is massive), and I seriously cannot be more impressed by the size of the display is. The apple pencil that retails for $99, may be the best investment for graphic designers, artists and doodlers.
One of the best apps on the iPad Pro, by far, is the Procreate app. You can create illustrations and designs on the go in a fast and simple way. Procreate comes with a standard set of brushes to help you create anything you wish. The best part of this app is that you can modify and recreate any brush you would like. This inspired me to create a collection of brushes that are unique and compatible for illustrators, and calligraphers as well!
Here is what I came up with:
0. MARKY BRUSH PEN This brush imitates a dry brush pen. It is inky and spacious with every varying stroke. This is sure to be a favorite of yours when creating. The name “Marky Brush Pen” was inspired by the marking texture it gives when writing. Here’s a preview of the brush pen in black:
1. FLATWATER I came up with this brush to recreate the look of waterbrush pens. This smooth brush transitions from thick to thin, the width of the stroke also varies willingly! When making horizontal strokes, the brush becomes thin and flat, which inspired me to name it “Flatwater.” Here is an example of how it looks:
2. COOLER The size variation on the cooler brush makes for a smooth movement. The brush got its name from the texture of its stroke. I immediately thought of the texture of pineapples and thought it reminded me of the summer.
3. FUZZBALL I wanted to go for a fuzzy and dreamy brush style that would be appropriate for drawing and calligraphy. I thought fuzzball would be the best name to choose!
4. MERRY It seemed appropriate to name this brush “Merry.” I was after a brush that had a double line, a faux calligraphy brush that shortened the time of outlining words. I thought this brush resembled a candy cane when written in white, therefore it was named Merry.
5. BOUNCY Not only is this “Bouncy” brush great for varying pressure, it maintains a slight difference in opacity, which allows for a soft touch when writing.
6. 3 IN 1 CHALK PACK This 3 in 1 Chalk Pack is full of fun chalk brushes! Chalk art is very popular in home decor and what better way to get started creating then with chalk brushes. There are 3 in total: Chalk, Chalk Shade, and The Chalk Pen. Chalk is a general brush for lines and drawing graphics, Chalk Shade was made specifically for shading, The Chalk Pen is a pen that was textured to mimic chalk markers that are used for writing on chalkboards for displays.
Developing these Procreate brushes were an amazing experience – both to make and to work with! See all Procreate brushes here.
Here are some creations I came up with using these brushes:
“Coffee Lovers” – Made with the 3 In 1 Chalk Pack.
“Dream” – Made with Fuzzball.